TWD: Mocha-Walnut Marbled Bundt

>> Tuesday, April 6, 2010

I'm extremely pleased with this bake even before baking it! How's that possible? Because this week's pick by Erin of When in Doubt.... Leave it at 350 (pages 180-181 of the book) gave me

the perfect reason to get a solidly good bundt pan! I have muffin pans, round and square cake pans of all sizes, mini-bundt pans (but they don't count!), cute little tartlette pans - remember these?
 So now it's time to add the Bundt to the collection. I'm so pleased with my new Nordicware bundt pan! - my "Bundt of steel" (and this doesn't require arduous physical workout!) And even more delighted with this beautiful bundt cake that slid smoothly out of the pan - no cracks, no sticking to the sides of the pan, perfectly-domed with clean, sculpted ridges! What a marvel! Sorry, all ye experienced "Bundters" out there, please excuse this silly enthusiasm over a mere pan; I am a virgin Bundter after all. I am just simply awed by this - hubby took this photo - looks like an "angelic" cake, halo effect and all!
Sight, smell then taste. That's the order of how this cake captivated me. The rich chocolaty and buttery aroma of the cake hot off the oven made waiting such a torture. As hesitant as I was to cut into its perfect structure, 
once the knife cut through the dense, tight yet soft crumbs, I knew I was in for a treat!  I didn't even bother with the chocolate glaze; the cake was mighty good on its own. I love this sort of texture - very similar to poundcake but the swirls - oh those marbly swirls make them so much more exciting! I layered rings of chocolate and vanilla, then just zig-zagged a knife around the batter once. I will definitely try the ginko pattern the next time, the "next time" being in the very near future since this cake was such a hit at D's office and he didn't have enough to share - I only gave him 8 pieces and saved the rest of moi!.
This is certainly another excellent Dorie recipe. Do remember to drop by TWD to see what others say.

13 comments:

Tia April 6, 2010 at 9:17 AM  

Beautiful Marbling on your cake! nice job this week. I love the color you got on your crust and i envy your pans!!!

erin April 6, 2010 at 9:38 AM  

I agree, I envy your pans. I have so much kitchen stuff but so few bundt pans! Love the marbling!

Pamela April 6, 2010 at 10:08 AM  

Your marbling is so pretty! It's nice to share, but you've gotta keep some for you! Well done.

Marthe April 6, 2010 at 12:19 PM  

Wow, your marbling is absolutely perfect!!

Jeannette April 6, 2010 at 12:39 PM  

This is the most perfect marbling I have seen!! I will try your method next time!!! And I think my next time will be quite soon. This was a hit here as well!

Cindy April 6, 2010 at 1:49 PM  

I get excited about pans too. I have my eye on the 6 cup version. It is in my Amazon shopping cart waiting for a weak moment! The cake looks so good!

Jules Someone April 6, 2010 at 3:02 PM  

Congrats on the pan. ;-) Your cake looks amazing. Yum!

Amanda April 6, 2010 at 7:06 PM  

WOW - what gorgeous pictures and that marbling is marvelous!!

lola April 7, 2010 at 9:02 AM  

You photo is great and thanks for the comments on my blog about the pan. My oven temp is correct, so I will reduce the baking temp for the next bundt cake.

Tina April 7, 2010 at 10:56 PM  

the cake is gorgeous, the photos are too!! i can smell the cake from here and will put this in my must-bake list!! wish i can have a slice now!! :)

Anonymous,  April 8, 2010 at 2:41 PM  

Your cake looks perfect. I also used my NordicWare bundt and it didn't stick and I was extremely excited. Thanks for baking with me this week.

Mary April 8, 2010 at 3:49 PM  

That is a perfect cake! I didn't get a chance to bake this week, with Easter and all, but I was at the cookware store admiring bundt pans. I may have to invest if I can get results like this! The marbling is fantastic:)

Piggy April 23, 2010 at 5:52 AM  

Love the marbled pattern on your cake, they look so pretty!

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP