TWD: Swedish Farewell Cake

>> Tuesday, April 13, 2010

I can't get over the strange coincidence of how this week's pick  - Swedish Visiting Cake by Nancy of The Dogs Eat the Crumbs happens to fall so close to Hakan's (my husband's Swedish colleague) farewell. Hakan's assignment in Northern California ends this week and he will be heading back to Sweden on Friday. I didn't have the chance to welcome them with a Swedish Visiting cake, so with lots of warmth, best wishes and much blessings, this is my Swedish Farewell Cake for Hakan, his lovely wife AnnaLianna and beautiful daughter Christine





The only cast iron skillet I have is an 11 1/2" round but I was still adamant to go for that rustic theme so I increased the recipe portion by 1 1/2 times. Dorie did say that this is not a tall cake but mine turned out flatter than I had like so perhaps I need to double the recipe the next time I bake it using this skillet again. In addition to sliced almonds, I also topped mine with apple slices, then glaze with a little apricot jam just to give it that sheen.This is a wonderfully simple cake with amazing almond-lemon flavors and the hot buttery almond aroma that wafted throughout gave the whole house such warm, homey comfort! Excellent choice.
Lastly, if you ever plan to visit the beautiful city of Stockholm, do check out the photo slides and do a search under "Stockholm" on this site for the write-ups from my last trip.

17 comments:

Kitchen Butterfly April 13, 2010 at 12:10 PM  

It looks lovely. Love the first photo with the wedge of cake!!!!!!!!!! And I will have a look at your Sweden post as we're thinking of a Scandinavian holiday this summer (while its warm!)

Anonymous,  April 13, 2010 at 12:51 PM  

your cake looks lovely! and delicious.

Flourchild April 13, 2010 at 1:01 PM  

AHHHH What a sweet lovely cake to give to your dear friends. Im sure they appreciated it very much. Your cake looks so good! I loved this recipe too!

The Mortensens April 13, 2010 at 5:25 PM  

What perfect timing indeed! Did you put apples in your cake? It looks fabulous. What did your Swedish friends think of it?

Also, I just love Stockholm too. It's such a beautiful city!

CB April 13, 2010 at 7:42 PM  

Is that a red cast iron skillet I see in your picture?? *drooling* I don't have a cast iron skillet but now that I know you can get it in red, I must have one! Glad you and your visiting guests enjoyed the cake. :)
-CB
http://iheartfood4thought.com

Lazaro Cooks April 13, 2010 at 8:34 PM  

Wonderful post. Great photography. Really vibrant pics. Never tried this cake. Thank you for expanding my culinary horizons. Cheers!

Susan April 13, 2010 at 8:36 PM  

Beautiful photos! Love the apples on the cake!

margot April 13, 2010 at 10:01 PM  

Your cake looks fantastic! What a great coincidence. Hopefully you'll get a chance to visit your friends in Sweden.

Tia April 13, 2010 at 11:42 PM  

aww that's so cute how it ties in to your life's happenings.

steph- whisk/spoon April 14, 2010 at 6:24 AM  

beautiful cake! i bet your friends really appreciated it, too!

alvarosa April 14, 2010 at 12:54 PM  

I'm wondering what your "expert" friends for swedish sweets did say about the cake! (indeed, they look very swedish, hihi)

I wish I had thought about mixing the almond and the apple variant. I made two cakes instead, but with the same batter.

Nancy/n.o.e April 14, 2010 at 1:53 PM  

I'm excited that this cake worked so well for your departing Swedish visitors. A foretaste of home, I'll bet. The apple version looks fab; I'm going to try that next time. I'll be checking out your slides - it's amazing how many bloggers had a Swedish connection this week. Thanks for baking along with me.

Pamela April 15, 2010 at 6:26 AM  

Very pretty! And so thoughtful of you to share with your husbands co-worker. I'm sure it was greatly appreciated.

Jencrafted April 15, 2010 at 8:07 AM  

Thanks for all your kind comments

Our Swedish friends loved the cake, although they said they've never heard of Swedish Visiting cake before! Hubby works for Swedish company, so I guess I'll bake another one for him to share with more Swedes; let's see what they say!

@CB: it's Flame Red. I love Le Creuset's Flame Red collection!

Jaime April 19, 2010 at 6:56 AM  

what interesting timing!
lovely cake :)

Piggy April 23, 2010 at 5:50 AM  

Your cake looks so inviting and love the photo too!

The Domestic Adventurer April 23, 2010 at 12:03 PM  

Wow, such a great photo! I've seen so many posts including this cake, I might just have to try it.

Thanks for visiting and commenting on my blog. I love yours! Well done.

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP