Jam Thumbprint Cookies

>> Thursday, April 22, 2010

This bake marks my debut as a Barefoot Blogger member, something that became official this month although I only found out about it late in the game. I started following Barefoot Contessa on FoodNetwork channel about 8 years ago and have been an avid fan of Ina Garten since then. Ina's the type of neighbor you'd like to have - sweet, personable, makes some of the most scrumptious food ever and you must just love her generosity with butter! My very first Ina recipe was beef bourguignon - sorry Julia; I learnt to do it Ina's way first and that is still my favorite beef bourguignon recipe till today. I've been making Ina's jam thumbprints for Christmas many years now. I still remember the episode where she baked a batch of raspberry and apricot jam thumbprints, wrap them in clear cellophane then adorn each pouch with ribbons as gifts for her friends. I want to be Ina's friend or move next door to her too!


To me, Ina's classic raspberry and apricot jam thumbprints are reminiscent of the holiday season, since that's when I'd normally bake them. As this is Spring, I thought I'd try something new for this bake. I've decided to make Lemon Curd Thumbprints by adding zest from 2 lemons, used lemon extract instead of vanilla extract, then opted for lemon curd that I happen to have leftover for the filling and finally, coated the cookies in crushed cereal instead of coconut flakes. I baked the cookies at the recommended temperature, on the top rack and they were done after 17 minutes or so. Butter, sugar, flour, lemon zest and lemon curd. Quite simple really and that's what so great about Ina's recipes!
D and I both love the fresh lemony twist to the usual jam thumbprints that we've been used to. I was also going to try some form of nut (not peanut) butter-jam combo but ran out of time today. Something to keep in mind for the holiday bake at year end. All in all, a wonderful pick. Here's the link to Ina's original version.

2 comments:

Unknown April 23, 2010 at 8:28 AM  

Oh those cookies look so yummy!! Wish I could be your neighbour? ;) I wouldn't mind getting dozens of them LOL! I'm a big fan of Ina Garten myself. I've tried so many of her recipes and have never been disappointed - each one is ever so distinctly good.

Jencrafted April 24, 2010 at 9:43 PM  

I'll make sure you'll have the opportunity to taste these thumbprint cookies!

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP