TWD: Toasted Coconut Custard Tart

>> Tuesday, March 2, 2010

It seems like I've been on TWD hiatus but looking back, my last TWD bake was just couple weeks ago. This tells you how much I'm enjoying TWD, isn't it? The week feels somewhat incomplete without a TWD bake, albeit last week was so crazy that I couldn't possibly slot in another bake. I know that there're some of you who're so eager to find out what I've been up to, especially with the teaser entry last week! Thanks for checking in (again and again!) and to all my stealthy yet wonderful visitors, that post is forthcoming!!

Before I go on to this week's bake, I've got a treat for all of you.

Click here to continue
You've got to hit the play button below, then watch a bit, listen and continue reading......Deal??





















Are you in the mood for vacation yet?? Now let this week's pick by Beryl of Cinemon Girl take you there!

Coconut and rum......what else do you need to turn you on to vacation mode? I do enjoy a break from chocolate and cakey desserts for a change, so despite my aching joints and exhausted body, I knew I didn't want to miss this week's TWD. Also, it's been couple months since our Paris trip and now is a good time to open these
that I had bought from here
I ended up with multiple tart shells: a 3" x 12" rectangle, six medium-sized rounds, 6 mini rounds and 6 mini square ones.
I only filled half of the smaller shells with the coconut custard and saving the rest for a new idea that just came to me this morning. Ah, Spring is in the air  - the season when my mind gets fresh jolts of creativity!  Now all I need is that discipline to execute.*Sigh* *another big sigh* I did, however, get to play-around a bit with the custard this time: substituted half of the milk with coconut milk, used Coconut Rum (I didn't have dark rum anyways) and added a dash of coconut-flavored essence instead of vanilla. The result: a very creamy, coconuty custard atop a buttery flaky shell. 
Is it summer yet???

Be sure to check out Cinemon Girl for her awesome entry on this week's bake!

4 comments:

Beryl March 2, 2010 at 8:46 PM  

I am coveting your little tart shells right now. Your tarts are absolutely gorgeous. Thanks for baking with me!

Tia March 2, 2010 at 9:55 PM  

oh i envy your bakeware!!!
i love the photos as usual. one talnted chica you are.

AmyRuth March 3, 2010 at 7:27 AM  

Perfectly beautiful! Agreed the coconut milk/milk blend is just the extra layer it needs, but oh so good.
AmyRuth

AmyRuth March 3, 2010 at 7:28 AM  

BTW These put me into spring/summer mode for sure.
AmyRuth

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP