TWD: Chockablock Cookies

>> Tuesday, April 27, 2010

I love recipes that call for loads of nuts, fruits and chocolate, even more so when the recipe is entirely suitable for a myriad of substitutes and variations. This ravishing cookie - with its colorful bits of fruits, nuts and the jewel of it all: embedded chunks of gooey chocolate  - is just what its moniker implies. Chock full of goodness!


I was happy that I could make use of the leftover odds and ends I had from other bakes: walnuts, pecans, almonds, cranberries, golden raisins, sweet dates and even a streusel-y mélange of cereal, oatmeal , coconut flakes and flax!
I used brown sugar in place of regular white sugar, for color as well as to complement the molasses. The recipe calls for loads of chocolate.....almost 4 full bars (regular 3.5-ounce bars)! I used dark chocolate (70% cacao). The richness of the chocolate comes through on first bite, but then you get to taste the sweetness of the dried fruits the more you chew, with wonderful contrasting texture from the nuts against the slightly crispy-chewy oats and coconut flakes. A rare example of more is more.
You must, must - absolutely must - read this entry by Mary of Popsicles and Sandy Feet for the recipe and her experiment with various nuts-fruit combinations (she has tried 6 versions!!). That's what I call dedication! And passion! I'm always so motivated and encouraged by people who took the time and put in great effort. Mary's post summarizes beautifully what TWD means to so many of us. Especially for me, it's about baking - trying out good, no great recipes (Dorie's have been excellent, bar none), being connected to those with similar passions and above all, fostering new friendship and that special sense of camaraderie amongst TWD members.


15 comments:

Jessica of My Baking Heart April 27, 2010 at 9:57 AM  

Love your pictures - beautiful! :) Glad you enjoyed the cookies!

chocolatechic April 27, 2010 at 12:03 PM  

Beautiful pictures.

I didn't add any dried fruit.

Anonymous,  April 27, 2010 at 12:55 PM  

Great post and lovely photos! Your streusel-like mix sounds delish all by itself. :)

Cindy April 27, 2010 at 1:17 PM  

I do agree! It is fun to try new recipes with excited bakers. It is a good thing.

spike. April 27, 2010 at 1:33 PM  

they look great- love a cookie that uses up the odds & ends in the pantry.

Tia April 27, 2010 at 1:56 PM  

beautiful with the paper between the stacked cookies. great job!

Teanna April 27, 2010 at 5:22 PM  

Gorgeous pics! And I agree on what TWD means - it is a special group, that is for sure!

Hindy April 28, 2010 at 4:08 AM  

Your cookies look delicious! I wish I'd used brown sugar for flavour.

Anonymous,  April 28, 2010 at 10:13 AM  

Your photos are gorgeous! I think brown sugar sounds like a great sub for regular sugar in this recipe.

Pamela April 28, 2010 at 12:44 PM  

Man! These pictures have me wanting to get back into the kitchen to make some more of these babies. Loved them!

Tina April 29, 2010 at 8:32 AM  

Jen, I just finished baking these for the kids (and moi) to bring to school/work tomorrow. I love your photos as well.. yours look so yummy - gorgeous color too!! thanks so much for introducing me to Dorie's great recipes :-)

Piggy April 29, 2010 at 10:35 AM  

Love this pic! And your cookies look really great!

Buy Dry Fruits Online December 18, 2012 at 4:23 AM  

Nice blog.. Thanks for sharing this information with us

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP