Week-in-the-Life Project: Day 2

>> Wednesday, April 21, 2010

A reader commented that this project is quite like reality blogging. Reality blogging. I like that! So let's use that from now on out. Thanks Lazaro! By the way, Lazaro has a cool blog - check it out!

Jen's reality Tuesday: just another typical day of class, errands, more errands and none of the dramatic episodes that everyone craves for in reality TV. It's been a wet, rainy day. In fact, there was even a hailstorm as I drove home in the afternoon; in case you're wondering,  the hails were the size of peas so no, I'm not injured, no dents on my car - all's well, thank you very much!


10:00 am: arrived at Marion's for my class. Aargh, je n'ai pas fais mes devoirs! Lesson du jour: speak the language bravely and don't get overly hung up on grammar!

12:00 pm: browsed a local antique store for some vintage silverware. I was ecstatic with these finds:

vintage forks and knife with that prized aged patina, the most charming set of his-hers napkin rings and the best find of all today: reproduction of the vintage handkerchief. Now why do we not use handkerchieves anymore?

1:30 pm: a second day of lunch! My, we're on a roll aren't we? Like I said, I don't even take lunch everyday but yesterday and today were exceptions. Lunch today was at my favorite neighborhood restaurant where one section of the restaurant carries a French theme and the other Creole. Think Cheesecake Factory, but slightly smaller, cozier and definitely with a whole lot more character. I love the muffins they have here (honey oat bran's my favorite) and the casual laid-back feel just makes me want to sit there, take my time, read a book and sip my drink. Well, I didn't get to sit that long today since I was on a mission, on a hunt actually, for a book. Headed over to the bookstore but alas, they didn't have that book! That book's temporarily out of stock on Amazon too and I need that for my class! Bummer!! I guess I'd have to make do with photocopies for now. 


3:00 pm: back to the house for the highly glamorous task of cleaning! Vacuum day, to be precise. But I've no complains. I'd prefer this to the daily grind that I was used to a year ago. Or two years ago. Or even 5 years ago - sitting in the office, reviewing financials, charting, power-pointing or excel-ing, analyzing,  crunching numbers, counting beans.......Vacuuming beats that. Yup. Hands down!

6:30 pm I'm truly ashamed to share about dinner, but I must. I must as this will serve to be that grim reminder of never to do what I did again. Eating out of a box, that is.
It's not that bad from a nutritional standpoint, especially since I got those from Trader Joe's and they were low-sodium and no-MSG items. Nonetheless, I had vowed to never make a meal out of instant noodles, or canned food, or boxed food ever again as long as I am still lounging at home. 
However, today was one of those days that I was physically drained. Simply exhausted so I had to cave in. D loves Indian curries and we ate the vegetable curries with two types of flatbreads: roti pratha (or roti canai) and whole-wheat pita. They were tasty, really good. But my quest now is to learn how to make these curries so that we will not have to eat from the box again!
All throughout dinner, I was wondering in the back of my mind how those working men and women  handle dinner for their families, or any meals for that matter? Having to deal with all the hazards of working eight-hour days, yet still being able to prepare decent home-cooked meals for the family day in, day out. I'm not talking about serving highly processed food. Or junk food. I totally respect those couples who make it a point to use fresh, healthy and nutritional ingredients for family meals. I marvel at their tenacity. And definitely, I support Jamie Oliver's Food Revolution!
 Speaking of which, have you signed the petition yet?

8:00 pm A.I Tuesday. Bowersox performed excellently tonight. I think they should just crown her the new idol. I mean, why waste others' time (and hope)?

11:20 pm Bedtime. Another uneventful Tuesday.

3 comments:

Lazaro Cooks April 21, 2010 at 8:29 AM  

Thank you for the shout-out. I have to agree with you about the corporate office job life...it sucks! That's what I am doing at the moment. Actually I'm stealing company time reading my favorite blogs. Don't beat yourself up about dinner, sometimes you just don't want to cook. Cheers!

Mary April 21, 2010 at 6:46 PM  

I got a diary when I was 12 or so, but I think I only wrote in it once or twice:( I love reading about other people's days though! Mine started at 6am with a phone call from a sick teacher looking for a sub. Then I made a pot of soup, taught all day, shopped all the way home and did some Daring Bakers cooking. Not so exciting, but a good day:)

Jencrafted April 22, 2010 at 2:45 PM  

@Lazaro: hang in there!

@Mary: I agree. Great day, especially when you get to teach! Quite rewarding. Thanks for taking the time to share.

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP