TWD: Dulce de leche Duos

>> Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Another incredibly delectable cookie recipe from Dorie - sweet, creamy rich dulce de leche (milk caramel) sandwiched between two equally rich, buttery and cakey cookies. This week's TWD pick is by Jodie of Beansy Loves Cake and by the name of her blog, I know now why she picked this somewhat-cookie-somewhat-cake combination! Cake in a cookie -  not a bad idea at all!

Condensed milk used to be a staple in our home but truth be told, I've never had it as dulce de leche. I was eager to try the different methods of home-made dulce de leche and was deciding between that of David Lebovitz's or the slow-cooker method that I first came across in a fellow blogger's site. For this time, I opted to go with the former as I had somethin' else cookin' in my slow cooker. I'm happy with the results - rich, not overly custardy or dark as I've seen in some photos online but has a rather satiny sheen to it. I reckon I could've left it in the oven for an extra 15 minutes or so to get a darker color?
 I sandwiched half the batch of cookies with the dulce de leche and the other half with a cafĂ© con leche spread (half espresso half dulce de leche combo).  I do love the taste of strong coffee with the sweet leche! I'll definitely try the slow-cooker method of making dulce de leche the next time round (and probably double the batch of cookies too. The neighbors will love me!!)
Here's the recipe for this week's pick and please be sure to head over to TWD for more tips and pointers while I attack my breakfast!
Have a sweet day everyone!

19 comments:

Jessica of My Baking Heart March 23, 2010 at 8:53 AM  

Love your pics - I'll have to try DL's method next time! :)

chocolatechic March 23, 2010 at 9:22 AM  

Beautiful cookies.

Mine are so ugly, but taste so wonderful.

Mary March 23, 2010 at 9:22 AM  

The coffee filling sounds great! My cookies didn't spread at all, so the sandwiches were like balls! Yours look really nice.

Kimberly Johnson March 23, 2010 at 9:40 AM  

The cafe con leche fillings sounds fantastic! I'll be adding that to my to do list. Your cookies look delicious.

Piggy March 23, 2010 at 9:49 AM  

Love the color on your cookies and I think I've overbaked mine. ;-)

CB March 23, 2010 at 11:08 AM  

Whoa. Cafe con leche. My Hubs is gonna be pissed that I didn't think of that! HA! I better write that little tidbit in my cookbook for the next time I bake these bad boys up. Glad you enjoyed the cookies!
-CB
http://iheartfood4thought.com

Nickki March 23, 2010 at 1:41 PM  

Your pictures are absolutely gorgeous! I wish I'd thought of adding expresso powder to the cookies, that combination sounds awesome!

Tia March 23, 2010 at 2:00 PM  

mmm yum yum. the shot of the dulce de leche jar surrounded by cookies on the wire rack is my favorite photo. looks so homely and serene.

Teanna March 23, 2010 at 2:08 PM  

Your photos are absolutely stunning and your cookies look amazing!

Cakelaw March 23, 2010 at 3:25 PM  

Your cookies look fab!! I have to try the David Lebovitz method for making dulce de leche - it's getting a good rap.

Anonymous,  March 23, 2010 at 4:28 PM  

Wonderful photos! I used the same method to make the dulce de leche and it worked great. Now I want to try some cafe con leche spread!!

Susan March 23, 2010 at 7:50 PM  

Great looking cookies! I wonder if I could add some espresso powder to my sweetened condensed milk before putting it in the oven to make cafe con leche. I love coffee and caramel and never heard of that before now. :)

Jacque March 23, 2010 at 8:08 PM  

I guess one thing nice about making your own is that you can customize the degree of caramelizing to suit your recipe. Yours looks fab! and the cookies... very nice!

Jencrafted March 23, 2010 at 8:36 PM  

Thanks for all your kind comments!

@Susan, I added ~3 tablespoons of actual espresso - liquid, not powder to the dulce de leche to make the cafe con leche filling; I think the espresso flavor comes through a little better in liquid form. I do love the espresso-caramel combo; grew up drinking Nescafe coffee with condensed milk!

Leslie March 24, 2010 at 1:07 PM  

I love that first shot of your cookies with the drip starting...love it! Your cafe con leche sounds amazing! I would eat that up with a spoon!

Marthe March 24, 2010 at 1:54 PM  

My dulce de leche turned out a bit darker and the texture was more custardy, it still tasted yummy though!

Ms. F March 25, 2010 at 5:56 PM  

Aaaand I just drooled on my keyboard. The colour on those cookies is absolutely golden. A teaspoon of dulce de leche in a really strong cup of coffee is superb, you should try it!

I drank coffee with condensed milk when I was growing up, too!

Liz March 26, 2010 at 5:22 PM  

Beautiful photos! I didn't love these cookies but I STILL want to take a big bite of yours! :)

lishapisa April 7, 2010 at 1:04 PM  

want this so bad...... what a great photo and can imagine how this good this taste....need your recipe to really taste it! Thank you! :)
CookNg Sisters

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP