My Encounter with Macarons in Paris

>> Friday, April 2, 2010

It has been 3 months since our Paris trip. I said I wanted to share more about our trip, didn't I? Well, what can I say? Procrastination life takes over sometimes! At least the post title doesn't read "Our macaron encounter in Paris 3 years ago......"!! Better late than never! (There, I feel so much better now)


My quest to learn and perfect les macarons - not the American macaroons, but French macarons - huge difference, mind you - brought me to a macaron workshop in Paris. I've been fascinated with these little meringue-like but oh-so-much-more-complex-and-complicated cutsies since I first tasted them in Ladurée, Paris a decade ago. Ever since I started baking seriously about six months ago, I've been wanting to attempt making les macarons and the first step I took was to launch into online research to learn EVERYTHING there is to know about these temperamental little cookies (did I say cookies? Ssshhhh.....don't tell Pierre Hermé!). In hindsight, that was a mistake because there were so many write-ups about macarons, mostly on how difficult  (and seemingly impossible) they were to make so much so that for months, I was just struck by analysis-paralysis. Should I start with the French meringue method? Or do I use the Italian meringue technique? Aged egg whites or fresh ones? Baked with oven door ajar or closed? Fold until batter becomes magma-like? I've never got up-close with an active volcano so what is the right consistency of magma? The more I read, the more intimidated I became and needless to say, my first attempt at making les macarons was a total failure. Talk about self-fulfilling prophesy! So when hubby took me to Paris for my birthday, I was adamant to squeeze in a macaron class regardless of how packed our itinerary was. Attending a macaron workshop was one of the best decision ever made! It wasn't so much the class, but rather the chance encounter of a lifetime!
Sadly, I've only made macarons once since we got back from Paris - blame it on procrastination hectic life. After all, between my morning coffees, lounging time, preparing a meal a day (dinner), gym work-outs, surfing the internet throughout the day and lounging (have I listed that already?), I really don't have much time. Until last week. Last week I forced myself to dust off the macaron class notes and start making them seriously. As in seriously, I do need couple batches of good-tasting, good-looking macarons for the party last weekend. I've dreamt about making these flavors for the longest time: matcha (green tea) macarons with azuki filling and rose-lychee-raspberry macarons which are of course, inspired by PH's Ispahan but let's just not call these Ispahan......yet. I'm far from where I'd like to be....er....I mean my macarons, but can the same be said about life? Another story for another time!
For now, let me leave you with a short clip on my little Parisian macaron encounter:


And here're my matcha and rose macarons.
*with vanilla buttercream filling
This is an Italian-meringue based techique (vs. French or Swiss meringue) and while I'm having better success with Italian over French, I'm going to make sure I master both! And yes, again, I meant meringue. What did you think I was referring to??! So I'll not be sharing any recipes until I've had more gos at it. However,  I found that this book
 provides the best step-by-step instructions and do not require excessive amounts of the relatively expensive almond powder. I've been so very reluctant to part with my precious blanched almond powder I bought from Paris! but ah, for les macarons......I guess I'll do anything.

Post publish update: here's is a wonderful and resourceful post on macarons by Dorie Greenspan. Definitely a must-read!

4 comments:

Ms. F April 6, 2010 at 4:07 AM  

I have been absolutely dying to make macarons but I don't know if I'm emotionally prepared... I will just have to give in soon. Best of luck to you!

Parisbreakfasts April 10, 2010 at 12:45 PM  

Loved your photo-montage video!
Just terrific
miam-miam
merci
Carolg

Tina July 2, 2010 at 2:10 AM  

(second time trying to post comment here, hope this one goes through!)

I made my first choc macarons last weekend and gues what?? no feet!! LOL... they tasted delicious, though :)

yours look wonderful and I'm so envious!! :P

Parisbreakfasts July 9, 2011 at 5:26 AM  

Ha! I can't believe I comented ages ago and that old avatar! yikes
Well I just have to get the baking pans and the confecionary sugar and and and
They used pasturized egg whites at my La Cuisine class so I'm trying it..is that a suckie idea?
I do have organic too - hmmm
That class is $$$
YIKE The Ritz was only 70 euros but no lunch included. I LOVED the ritz class..
merci
carolg
I must do something else today besides reading yr blog Jenny!!!

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP