My rendition of The Egg (Oeuf de l'Arpége)

>> Wednesday, December 30, 2009



We're still somewhat jet-lagged despite it's already Day 4 since our return. I was awake by 5pm today.......not so much because of time change but rather, by the loud growling sounds. Sounds of hunger from my stomach! I must say, Paris has whetted my appetite so much so that I tend to be craving for food all the time since I got back, especially all things food French. This morning, my craving is for
The Egg. Yes, Chef Passard's Oeuf de l'Arpége, bien sûr! Dare I attempt this seemingly difficult feat? It's L'Arpége's signature item for 23 years! After having the best, I'm sure nothing else can compare, especially if it's from a novice home cook like me. But I didn't want a simple poached or soft-boiled egg for b'fast. This taste bud is now slightly more sophisticated *ahem* after the one-week Parisian influence! So I set out to make my own rendition of The Egg - my own rendition with whatever I have in the pantry since it's too cold (read: I'm too lazy) to make my way to the grocery store. Here goes...

Slow-poached Egg with Whipped Cream & Maple Syrup

Ingredients :
4 large eggs (an egg for each person)
1/4 cup chilled heavy cream
1/8 teaspoon
Ponzu vinegar (original recipe uses Sherry which I did not have in my pantry, unfortunately)
1/4 teaspoon of ground ginger, cloves, pepper and nutmeg (combined; ratio according to your taste. I do not have a particular ratio for each ingredient but I certainly prefer more pepper and ginger)
1 teaspoon maple syrup
Garnishing:
Chives (finely chopped)
Fleur de sel

1. De-cap the eggs. I didn't have an egg topper/cutter so as an alternative, I used the back of a butter knife, gently tap on the top of the egg to make a crack, then using a chopstick to insert and make a hole. I then peel off the egg shell slowly, till around a quarter of the height of the egg.
2. Pour out the egg contents; separate the egg yolks (try to keep it whole) from the egg whites. Place each egg yolk back into its shell.
Save the egg whites for other bakes, e.g French Macarons (post forthcoming!)
3. Whip cold heavy cream until fluffy by hand or using an electric hand mixer; slowly drizzle in the ponzu vinegar.
4. Add in the spices and give it a good one last whip. Set aside.
5. Pour ~ 2 inches of water into a shallow pan and heat until you can see tiny bubbles simmering (do not let water boil)
6. Place the egg yolk (in de-capped shells) into the pan gently; careful to not tip the egg shells and contents over into the water!. I used a pair of kitchen thongs to help hold the egg sturdy, albeit a slower method since I could only poach one at a time.
7. Let the egg poach slowly (~ 2 minutes). Remove from water and set into egg holder
8. Take a spoonful of the whipped cream-vinegar mousse, mold into a small, slightly oval ball and place on top of egg yolk
9. Sprinkle some chopped chives on top, then drizzle the maple syrup over it
10. Top with fleur de sel
Voila! Great with toast (and better with french baguettes)!
My rendition certainly can't quite match Oeuf de l'Arpége but it was delicious, much more complex than a regular soft-boiled egg. The egg yolk oozes with flavor from the spices, punctuated by the slight citrusy cream offsetting the sweetness from the maple syrup, with a slight crunch from the fleur de sel. The creaminess of the whipped cream combined with the warm yolk just coats the throat with such moisture; hot and cold at the same time. So delightful! I could wake up to this everyday!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP