TWD: Tarte Fine

>> Tuesday, September 28, 2010

When I was planning for our dinner party, I couldn't be more delighted to learn what Leslie of Lethally Delicious had picked for this week's TWD bake. Instead of our usual backyard-BBQ party, I wanted to >/span> have a sit-down, slightly less casual dinner and there's this simple elegance about Tarte Fine which makes it quite the perfect dessert for the evening.

The rich, buttery and flaky home-made puff pastry was the perfect balance to the slightly tart apple slicess. Because I had ran out on apricot preserves and didn't want to go the heavy cream route, I opted to caramelize the apple slices by sprinkling powdered sugar once the tart was done, then ran it under the broiler for a minute and a half, a different effect from using a glaze but still pretty nonetheless. I served the tart with vanilla ice-cream, a standard pairing that could never go wrong but just to change things up a bit, I also served it with home-made raspberry sorbet; not a typical pairing, I agree. Surprisingly, the different levels of sweet-tanginess - from the apples, then from the sorbet - were quite a delight to the palate.
Not quite ready to bid adieu to summer yet, I've also made a slightly more rustic version of the tart using end-of-season peaches the next day.
Do head over to check out what other TWD bakers did with this versatile dessert

4 comments:

Anonymous,  September 29, 2010 at 6:04 AM  

So lovely, and your peach-almond version looks really delicious too!

steph- whisk/spoon September 29, 2010 at 1:44 PM  

both gorgeous! i've made peach-almond tarte fine before, too, and it is fantastic!

Leslie September 29, 2010 at 2:29 PM  

These are stunning! I love your idea of using this as a dessert for a less informal dinner party. It seems much more fussy than it is. And peach...I'm going to have to make that one ASAP before the season is over. Thanks for baking with me this week!

Needful Things October 3, 2010 at 1:34 AM  

Beautiful! Both the versions look stunning. I can't wait for us to try this one in BWD!

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP