Saved the best for last: roundup on Amsterdam trip

>> Wednesday, July 14, 2010

My trip to Amsterdam would not have been complete had it not been for this:

(click on post title to read more)

My biggest obsession, as you should be able to tell by now, is pastry and sweets hence it goes without saying that in all my travels, I will always be on the lookout for interesting delectable desserts.  You know how a place, a meal,  things you see or a single fabulous experience can just make your entire vacation?  Fortunately, I discovered this gem of a place on my very last day in Amsterdam, just hours before my train was scheduled to depart for Paris.  I was on my way to the Pijp neighborhood to have lunch and stumbled upon this pastry-teahouse that has such stunning window displays
warm and inviting ambience - it started to drizzle and I wanted to just curl up on this cozy sofa
....where I had the best Swedish Princess cake ever (nevermind that I've only had it twice before in Stockholm)
....and I also had a wonderfully light chocolate cake; I know this should never come from a pastry school student but I really needed a break from the insane amounts of butter we've been using in class!
Vacations are supposed to be invigorating; travels are meant to open our eyes to new things, awaken our senses and stimulate our creative abilities. This short, impromptu trip to Amsterdam has been such a blessing in so many ways that I could have even imagined. I have a brand new perspective coming back to Paris - yes, it does feel good to be back in Paris where the weather has cooled down significantly, most Parisians are starting to leave the city for summer vacation and the city seems to have slipped into a casual, less intense mode than before. When the cab snaked through the streets of Paris during peak-hour traffic, I couldn't help thinking to myself what a beautiful city Paris really is and as the car pulled up to the front of the building, I felt, for the very first time, a strange, unexplainable familiarity, almost as though I was home, except that Paris is not home. It just feels good to be back in Paris again.
Thank you Amsterdam!

4 comments:

NMN July 18, 2010 at 12:31 PM  

The food looks stunning! The colors jump off the screen..I can almost smell the aroma! Great shots capturing all of the senses. Nice to see that you're taking full advantage of your time in Paris.

Are taking the full Diplome curriculum or just Basic?

Anonymous,  July 18, 2010 at 6:34 PM  

Your long weekend looked wonderful! As great as it would be to be in Paris for a while, I think it would be a shame not to take advantage of the other cities that are a short train ride away.

Needful Things July 18, 2010 at 9:31 PM  

Just lovely photos!
And I guess all we need to do sometimes is get a little distant from things to re-gain perspective! Glad to see you happy to be back in Paris.

Amy B. @ Foodista July 18, 2010 at 10:25 PM  

THAT CAKE is stunning!!! And even though the coffee was out of focus and was blurry in the photo, it still made my tongue tingle! I guess that's just me though, for being a coffee addict. haha! Great photo ;-)

Cheers,
Amy from Adelaide Australia

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP