Cardamom Buns

>> Saturday, October 31, 2009



This is by far, my best discovery from my Stockholm trip. I've never had cardamom buns.
Infact, I've not had any desserts with cardamoms in it. I'm used to having cardamom spice in curries and Asian dishes but not in desserts. But what a wonderful combination. Once you taste it, you'll understand why. Something unexpected yet when you bite into it, the aromatic, savoury spice just brings the dessert to a whole different dimension!

This is where I discovered my cardamom buns. It's in Stockholm Old Town (Gamla Stan) on Osterlanggatan. The husband-wife owners (I believe they are couples though I didn't ask) run a very neat little cafe with a decor that I just love! The tone-on-tone white interior blends modern touches with country quaint so intelligently. It's that sort of place where you can just sit for hours, enjoying coffee and pastries (cardamom buns of course!), watching the world pass by. My type of place where I can just immerse myself for hours, reconnecting, rediscovering, recharged......refreshed!

Since I got back, I've been itching to try the Cardamom Bun recipe from this book I bought in Sweden.












Ingredients:
150g butter
2 cups milk
2 Tbsp active dry yeast
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup sugar
2 tsp ground cardamom
5 1/2 cups all-purpose flour

Filling:
3 Tbsp sugar
1 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon

Egg wash (1 egg lightly beaten)


Method:
Melt butter, add milk and heat until 115˚F (getting the right temp is important)
Pour active dry yeast to a small bowl, add some of the milk mixture, stir until dissolve. If the yeast was good, you'll see bubbles starting to form
Add the remaining liquid, salt, sugar, cardamom and around two-thirds of the flour, mixing to combine. This is where having a stand mixer helps. (my Kitchen Aid stand mixer - I love you!).
Knead the dough until smooth and elastic
Add more flour but reserve ~ 1/2 cup.
The dough is ready when it no longer sticks to sides of the bowl
Sprinkle a little flour over the dough, cover with cloth and set in a warm, draft-free place. Let rise till double the original dough amount (~ 45mins - 1 hr)
Punch down the dough and knead in the bowl for a few minutes
Turn out onto a lightly floured surface, knead in remaining flour.
Divide the dough in half; roll each half into a flat rectangle. Spread the filling ingredients (I used sugar & cinnamon combo but you can also use frangipane or almond paste) over the dough.
Roll up and cut into even slices (when the dough is cut, the exposed surface should have even pores; if there're big pores, the dough hasn't been kneaded enough)
Place the rolls, cut-side up, on a parchment-lined baking sheet.
Cover and let rise until doubled.
Brush with egg wash and sprinkle with sugar
Bake on center oven rack @ 425˚F for 8 mins.


Picture of Jen's Cardamom Buns:


It was my first attempt with yeast, albeit not fresh but active dry yeast. I should've done more research and read up all about proofing before I started this attempt. What was supposed to be only ~45mins wait for the dough to rise turned out to be a full 8-hour ordeal. It must've been the temperature of the liquid (not hot enough) and the room temperature that day (it was a pretty cold morning) and that darn dough just didn't want to rise! I turned on the oven for heat, turned it off after it has warmed up and left the dough in the oven, with the oven door ajar. An hour later. Nothing happened.

I then decided to use another packet of active dry yeast, making sure that I "proof" the yeast this time, added a bit more flour and eight long hours later, my dough rised to double its original size. Phew.

I would probably try this again next time but with half the recipe.The cardamom aroma was certainly there, the taste was similar but I've got lots to work on the texture. Next time, it'll be better next time.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP