Catching Up

>> Wednesday, May 26, 2010

It seemed like time stood still the past week. A week away from the internet, a hiatus from blogging and minimal to zero indulgence on time-wasters like one of 'em social networking sites. I needed to re-prioritize and re-focus on the most critical part of life that I've somehow neglected. I've often heard of how a minute or a phone call or a doctor's report can impact one's life deeply. Still, despite our personal experiences not too long ago, last week's news were totally unexpected.
So surreal. But thank God for His mercies, grace and mighty protection! We will not retreat in fear. We will not cancel our plans. I am charging ahead with pastry school in Paris! Whatever it is, He has already taken care of it for me.


Speaking of Paris, I just can't wait to go pâtisserie-boulangerie hopping! Imagine all the delectable delights I'd get to feast my eyes (and stomach) on! Oh, where does one even begin? I will live close to the school and I've been told that the streets adjacent to the apartment are filled with nothing but bakeries, bistros and restaurants! Oh yes, I almost forget:  lots of French boutiques! Now that's dangerous, although I think between eating French pastries and trying to fit into those French-sized clothings, my choice would be a no-brainer! The apartment looks nice and the neighborhood sounds promising but you know how those online rental agencies work. I won't hold my breath until I get there to scout out the place in person!


Part of my preparations for Paris was to go on a baking blitz: trying to cover the basics of French pastries   on one hand, and balancing with some non-French bakes that I know I won't get to do in the next several months.

I baked this for my niece, Jasmine's first birthday couple weeks back. I must admit that it's a rather unusual cake to bake for a baby girl but really, it was meant for the adults. I was inspired to try baking something similar after having the chance to taste a matcha-azuki bean sponge cake recently. There're several good recipes online and I've made some tweaks to suit my taste. The base cake was a regular sponge cake recipe, with the addition of matcha powder (note to self: buy better quality matcha powder the next time. Mariage Frères, here I come!) with a bottom layer of matcha mousse, a second layer of matcha sponge followed by azuki bean jelly (instead of azuki bean mousse), a final layer of matcha sponge then topped with a thin layer of matcha mousse and finished with a sprinkling of sugar crystals. I'm quite happy with the matcha sponge this time although the mousse still needs a tad more tweaking. I've tried making the mousse with and without meringue but I think I'm leaning towards with since it does give the mousse its ethereal trait. My sister-in-law said that the cake actually tasted better the next day, as in all cakes, I guess. I have to agree. The next time I make this, which will probably be after Paris, I will not omit the meringue like I've done on this one.

I will not die but live to declare the works of the Lord ~ Psalms 118:17

1 comments:

Needful Things June 1, 2010 at 6:14 AM  

Looks SO delish! Am just catching up on all the blogs I follow so missed this earlier in the week.
When will you go to Paris? I'm going next too (by only a short holiday)!

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP