TWD: Caramel Pumpkin Pie/Tart/Some Kind of Layered Dessert

>> Wednesday, October 20, 2010

I'm totally mad at myself for being a day late on this week's TWD post and even more frustrated, to the point of infuriation, at having to fix the messed up codes on my previous blog template. What began as a task to fix page break code errors late Monday evening snow-balled to an entire Tuesday of switching templates multiple times, trouble-shooting, reformatting and changing layouts along the way. By the time I was ready to throw in the towel, it was already time to prepare dinner. So it was a night without any desserts at our home, which is, honestly, quite rare these days. They say that you get what you paid for and in my case,  since I have been using free blog templates, I guess I shouldn't complain.
Eager for the opportunity to head back to the kitchen this morning - I don't think I can look at another html code ever again - I was looking forward to making the pumpkin caramel pie, this week's recipe picked by Janell of Mortensen Family Memoirs, from pages 322-323 of Dorie's Baking: From My Home to Yours. I opted to make a smaller, layered version of the dessert starting with a thin layer of round tart crust, the caramel pumpkin custard and a light mousse to which I had added some of the leftover pumpkin puree; the individual components were then assembled in a dessert ring.

(this better work now!!)


I'm more of a pecan-pie fan and feel that the flavors of pumpkin pies pale in comparison. Nonetheless, the dark caramel does give the pumpkin custard more depths and I'm wondering if adding brown butter to the filling would augment it even more? I'm not so sure about this one; it didn't dazzle as much as the other TWD bakes we've done. It's been a weird week and I don't seem to be getting the desired results in the things I've done so far this week. Oh well, chin up and tomorrow will be a better day.
Do head over to other TWDers to read and see their reviews on this. 

7 comments:

Beth October 21, 2010 at 3:34 AM  

I'm sorry you didn't love it, but it looks absolutely stunning. We all have weeks like that -- it almost guarantees that everything you bake next week will be sensational!

Cookbook Lovers Unite October 21, 2010 at 6:03 AM  

The taste might not have wowed you, but your pictures are amazing. Sorry about your blog troubles. It's so frustrating when a small problem snowballs like that!

I've started a new food blogging group that celebrates our love of the printed cookbook. I'd love it if you joined us. www.cookbookloversunite.blogspot.com.

I hope your blog behaves itself in the future. :)

Jessica of My Baking Heart October 21, 2010 at 10:39 AM  

Sorry to hear it didn't go over well for you. Your pictures are beautiful, though! Such a pretty tart. :)

The Mortensens October 21, 2010 at 12:57 PM  

I'm sorry you didn't like the pie. You'd never know that it didn't taste like perfection from looking at your pictures. The pie looks fabulous!

Anyway, thanks for taking the time to bake along with me this week!

Cakelaw October 21, 2010 at 2:18 PM  

I think your pie turned out beatifully - love the moreish layers! I was reading your bio - how cool to be studying patisserie in Paris!!! That is fantatsic, and I wish you well.

Needful Things October 22, 2010 at 1:45 AM  

It's too bad you didn't like it - but your layered take on it looks beautiful. And I love your serving plate!

steph- whisk/spoon October 22, 2010 at 7:19 AM  

this is a very sophisticated take on pumpkin pie! looks gorgeous, and i'm sure all the pupmkin fans out there would love a slice..including myself!

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP