TWD: All-American Apple Pie

>> Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Fall has finally arrived.  The foliage on the deciduous plants in our backyard have turned a deep crimson, the blazing hot and unusual summery weather we got to experience a couple weeks ago is now replaced by brisk, cooler temperatures and al fresco dining gives way to cozy meals in the warmer indoors.

What better way to welcome a beautiful autumnal morning than 
 to enjoy a warm slice of apple pie for breakfast this morning. I have been missing the weekend morning coffees with D in our backyard now that the mornings have turned chilly. It's not often that we get to enjoy a weekday together at home but D's working from home today and instead of the habitual oatmeal-cereal-coffee humdrum, we dug into Dorie's PDG (pretty darn good) all-American apple pie, picked by Emily of Sandmuffin for this week's TWD bake.

There's nothing more American than the prolific apple pie, and I loved every bit of this particular version - from the ethereal flakiness of its buttery double crust to the simple flavors of cinnamon-apple filling, further enhanced by just a hint of lemon. I used Gravensteins which have just the right balance of tartness and is one of the best type for pies, I think.
Apple pie and Fall. And having D at home on a weekday morning to enjoy a slice with. It's been a wonderful day. Please head over to see how other TWDers enjoyed their apple pies.

7 comments:

Anonymous,  October 26, 2010 at 7:37 PM  

Pie for breakfast! So awesome.

Tia October 26, 2010 at 8:50 PM  

your leaf accents are gorgeous and yours sliced perfectly!
xoxo Tia @ Buttercreambarbie

Needful Things October 27, 2010 at 1:14 AM  

Apple Pie for breakfast AND your husband to share it with - it really doesn't get better than that!
Beautiful photos :)

Anonymous,  October 27, 2010 at 10:50 AM  

Your pie looks great!

P.S. I love the picture of all the Eiffel Towers!

Mary October 27, 2010 at 5:09 PM  

I ate a lot of this pie for breakfast, but mine was not nearly as photogenic as yours when I sliced it. I love the glaze, sugar and cutouts--such pretty touches. Now I feel like making another.
:)

Beth October 28, 2010 at 6:10 AM  

I love apple pie, and yours looks terrific. I always get held up by my so-so pastry making skills. Maybe I just need a lot of practice!

Allison November 1, 2010 at 5:58 AM  

Wow. Hot apple pie for breakfast! I want to live in your house. :) The pie looks delicious.

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP