TWD: Classic Berry Tarts

>> Tuesday, May 11, 2010


I’ve been looking for a simple, yet elegant and impressive dessert to serve or to bring to parties. Eureka! I think I’ve found it in this week’s pick: Classic Berry Tart by Cristine of Cooking with Cristine. And to think that I was almost going to skip this week’s bake, especially with all the ongoing preparations for the move!

Folks, just so you know, I’ve made a decision to take this to the next level - “this” being my passion in pastry. I’ve been accepted into a pastry school in Paris recently and I’m completely flabbergasted, extremely excited yet absolutely terrified at the same time. This is another one of the boldest move I’ve done so far (the first was quitting my job last year without having a clue of what I’d be doing next), definitely a major life transition and I’m buckled in for one heck of a ride!
Now back to the reason for this post.....



The berry tart is a simple dessert that can be assembled in a flash once you have all the ingredients ready. I like it that this is not one of those fussier eat-it-while-it-tastes-good-hot-off-the-oven type of desserts; you can actually prep the individual components of the tart ahead of time which is always a helpful when it comes to entertaining. The pâte sucrée probably took a little over half an hour to make, all in all.  The pastry cream was a little bit more involved but still relatively easy and I agree with Dorie, this is certainly one of the must-haves in our reportoires. Pierre Hérme's vanilla pastry cream recipe has been my favorite go-to; Dorie’s recipe is very similar and as in both recipes, the key to getting that smooth, luscious consistency is allowing the cream to cool to at least 140˚F before adding the butter. I added some lemon zests in my pastry cream for a little zing. I had some leftover almond butter (almonds ground to a paste) which I added to the pâte sucrée, along with a couple extra tablespoons of flour to maintain the flakiness. It turned out somewhat "crumblier" than I had liked, but still tasted great! I used my mini-mini moulds again so I could feel less guilty when popping one (ok, maybe two) into my mouth each time.


The final touch - glazed apricot preserves over the entire tart - the fruits (I used whatever I had in our fridge - strawberries and blueberries), the pastry cream and even the tart crusts. Don’t you just love how a simple glaze adds such a stunning finishing touch?!

Please head over to Cristine's for this week’s recipe.


15 comments:

Cristine May 11, 2010 at 3:10 PM  

Your tarts are gorgeous! Congrats on pastry school!!! So jealous! :)

Thanks for baking along with me this week!

Mary May 11, 2010 at 3:52 PM  

I think you've made a wonderful decision to go to pastry school! It'll be so exciting, and I hope you have time to blog about it. Your tarts are lovely.
:)

Tia May 11, 2010 at 4:23 PM  

They look adorable! They are the tiniest tarts I've ever seen, I could eat 4 or 5 of them!

Teanna May 11, 2010 at 4:25 PM  

Your tartlets are adorable! Congrats on your decision to go to pastry school!

Anonymous,  May 11, 2010 at 6:14 PM  

Oh I love them bite size, super cute! And even better for a gathering. Love them!! You'r going to pastry school...I need to get reading to get the 411...how excited! Keep us posted on the journey!

The Mortensens May 11, 2010 at 6:47 PM  

Congratulations! That's so exciting that you've been accepted to a French pastry school! And your mini tarts look fabulous!

Paula May 11, 2010 at 7:59 PM  

What an adventure!! Hope you continue to blog.

I didn't know it was so important to wait on the butter. I thought mine was already perfectly creamy. Next time I will try to remember that and see if I can tell a difference.

Sihan May 11, 2010 at 8:22 PM  

OMG... these are soo tiny! I could pop 20 of them in an instant. Lovely.

natalia May 11, 2010 at 10:39 PM  

Ciao ! So after Paris you'll be able to visit isn't it ?? Great job with your fruit morsels !!

alvarosa May 11, 2010 at 11:40 PM  

Pastry school - great! Paris - even better!! I spent some month in Paris last year and miss it so much!

I am thinking about going to pastry school once I became a bit better in baking. But I am thinking more about NYC (maybe distance increases attractiveness :o] )

steph- whisk/spoon May 12, 2010 at 11:58 AM  

these look gorgeous! and congrats on pastry school...a big tart like this will probably be one of the first things you make!

Nirmala May 12, 2010 at 3:52 PM  

Gorgeous and yummy. I want to try this.

Baking Addict May 13, 2010 at 2:46 PM  

So loving the mini tarts. Congrats on pastry school!

Bella Baker May 14, 2010 at 11:36 AM  

I love those minis!! Gorgeous! Congrats on pastsy school! Paris - wow!!

Thas May 16, 2010 at 8:29 PM  

Amazing and nice picture.

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP