TWD: Burnt Sugar Ice Cream

>> Tuesday, May 4, 2010

My very first ice cream maker! My very first attempt at making ice cream!! And it will definitely not be the last. In fact, I love this whole process of making ice cream so much that I've already put the ice cream maker tub back to freeze to get it ready for the next batch! Ah, the joys of discovering something new. Something wonderful. Something as simple as making ice cream. Thanks to Becky of Project Domestication for this week's pick. Certainly a refreshing change after the cakes, cookies and tarts we've been making. Timing is definitely perfect as we get ready for the summertime.



The base cream was relatively simple to make. Well, actually, no, I take that back. I botched 2 batches of caramel before getting it right! The first batch of sugar re-crystalized as I simply wasn't paying attention, didn't swirl the sugar mixture around at first, then messing with it when I shouldn't. On the second batch, I added the milk-cream blend a little too late, crystallization had occured and the sugar had hardened. I'm so glad I'm not going into sugar arts! Definitely not my forte.
Notwithstanding the burnt sugar "accidents", the rest of the ice-cream making process was a breeze. Watching the machine churned and performed its magic in turning the liquidity substance into luscious cream was quite comforting in a strange way.
The only additions I made this time were the malted milk crunch and some fleur de sel, both ingredients added rich depths to the ice cream. It's not that it needed anymore flavors, but I simply love the balance of sweet and salty. Plus, I have been saving these
until the time is right, and now is the time! I've always loved the flavor of malted milk and the sweet-slightly bitter (from the burnt sugar) and slightly salty combo works really well, I must say. Sweet but not cloyingly so. Nice little crunch from the malted milk bits and the sea salt flakes further accentuated the burnt sugar flavor. And the final touch? Burnt sugar brittle. Why not put what I've learnt into good use?!

10 comments:

stacey May 4, 2010 at 6:24 PM  

It looks like you have glass in your ice cream - that brittle is so pretty!! :) And I love malted flavor as well, I'll have to remember that for next time.

Unknown May 4, 2010 at 7:03 PM  

Kudos to you! It looks great, very artistic. I can't wait to get my own ice cream maker! I'll be whipping up all kinds of flavors...is it summer yet?! :)

Anne May 4, 2010 at 9:16 PM  

Glad you like your new ice cream maker- it looks like your ice cream turned out perfect and is the start of many yummy recipes. The photo is so pretty, too!

Ms. F May 5, 2010 at 5:29 AM  

Gorgeous! The fleur de sel is a great addition to the ice cream. I started making ice cream last summer and it is a lot of fun, isn't it? This is a little silly but what exactly is malted milk? The only thing I can thing of are the malted chocolate balls.

Linda May 5, 2010 at 7:00 AM  

I remember how much of a revelation it was for me to make ice cream at home --- so easy and so much tastier than store bought. Glad that this recipe made you a homemade ice cream convert!

Tia May 5, 2010 at 9:02 AM  

that looks sooo good. gourmet... especially with the garnish. yum.

Mary May 5, 2010 at 5:42 PM  

Beautiful ice cream, and the garnish is stunning. but please tell me where you got the malted milk crunch! I love malted milk, but not the chocolate that us always wrapped around it.

TeaLady May 5, 2010 at 8:51 PM  

Love making ice cream. Always have a canister in the freezer.

so elegant with the 'glass' shard.

Anonymous,  May 6, 2010 at 10:58 AM  

It looks beautiful, and the malted milk crunch sounds delicious!

Paula May 6, 2010 at 4:18 PM  

The "glass" looks so sophisticated. Simple touches like that really make a difference.

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP