Love at First Bite

>> Friday, January 22, 2010

Rummaging through the fancy paper bag, sorting through the host of goodies we bought - boxes of assorted macarons, delightful sugar pastries, cannelles, kouign amanns, and, finally, down to that white a lá lunch-yet-so-chic-looking bag holding my most anticipated delectable of all. I couldn't even wait till we get to the little park across Rue Bonaparte before I literally tore into the bag: a pleasantly familiar floral scent wafting through, all my five fingers carefully holding it up, admiring its puffed crescent form,  but self-control could only last two seconds before I sunk my teeth, taking a deep bite into the prized item.

The golden brown crispy skin shattered to a million crumbs as my teeth cut through, leaving tiny bits of pastry flakes all over my coat, scarf....and face. I didn't care.

Soft and buttery with a bread-like texture, it had a satisfying chew to it, unlike the "airy" ones we wasted efforts on Stateside. The rose fragrance enticed one to take another bite, then another, and another. Once I got to the filling - a genius blend of rose-flavored almond cream, slightly tangy raspberry geleé and sensually sweet lichees, I knew - and you will too - that no other croissant can ever match up to this ever again.

Pierre Hermé's Ispahan Croissant. My love at first bite.




Yes, it's one of those days today.....wished I was back in Paris *Sigh*

You can find the Ispahan Croissant and many other signature Ispahan (creative blend of rose-raspberry-lychee) items by the Picasso of Pastries, Pierre Hermé at:

His flagship store in St. Germain des Prés
72 Rue Bonaparte, 75006 Paris, France
Tel:  01 43 54 47 77
Open Monday - Sunday 10 a.m - 7 p.m; Saturday 10 a.m - 7:30 p.m

or
85 Rue de Vaugirard, 75015 Paris, France
Tel: 01 47 83 89 96
Open Tuesday - Wednesday 10 a.m - 7 p.m; Thursday - Saturday 10 a.m - 7:30 p.m; Sunday 10 a.m - 6 p.m.



2 comments:

Katy January 22, 2010 at 2:19 PM  

Jen, I 'knew' you via EatingAsia's post comments. Note that you like baking? I recommend this beautiful blog:

http://www.hannahscountrykitchen.blogspot.com/

Katy

Tina,  January 25, 2010 at 11:30 PM  

jen, i love the way this was written, esp the intro part... niceee...

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP