I'd do it all over again....

>> Wednesday, May 18, 2011

They say that when you truly love what you do, you never work a day in your life. These past couple months have given me a first-hand experience at that - going to bed every night excited about the next day and waking up every morning with such eager anticipation of what each day had to offer, learning the ropes of a new trade, facing the fears and uncertainties of the unknown while at the same time, the exhilaration of new hopes and possibilities. Within a month, we've gone from starting a business from
scratch to handling large-scale corporate orders and appearances at multiple local events, scaling up from 200 items to 2500 items which was, by the way, a whole new animal in and of itself, and serving over 1000 guests at one time. All in a single month. I've never worked 36 hours straight without sleep while at the same time, I can't recall ever experiencing such thrill from not sleeping, working straight and riding on pure adrenalin when I was in the corporate world. I don't care how much you love your corporate job, but having been there, done that, and now crossed over from employee to owner, nothing in the corporate world can compare to the electrifying exuberance of running your own business. Risky? Definitely. Odds of failure? High, perhaps. I'm still figuring out how to maximize the return on investment and how to spread our limited resources to activities that make financial sense yet will not detract from the fun and creative experiences that we so enjoy. What I've learnt and experienced these past several months are beyond my expectations; I count that as a first positive ROI! It's a long journey ahead but this is a path that I can't wait to continue on. I consider myself so fortunate and blessed to have a strong support network of family and good friends, those that motivate you, fuel your dreams and are behind you all the way. I've also realized, throughout this process, the level of solid training I've received at LCB, something I did not know how to appreciate prior to this. You have read about my experiences from the school and I never quite got around to sharing about the horrifying episode with Mean Chef during my finals back in December - yes, believe it or not, it was another drama with Mean Chef - but once I started working in a real kitchen, everything made perfect sense. Working in a commercial kitchen is very much different than baking from home. The discipline, the strict organization, the time management, the scurried pace and the need to do EVERYTHING fast, the hygiene factors, the detailed planning, the ability to troubleshoot just by sighting the ingredient mix, the texture, the touch, the smell of your bakes, the various techniques that you've been armed with......I am so thankful for every single thing I've learned from pastry school and even more so, the opportunity to live in the pastry center of the world for without either, I would not have been able to push the envelope when it came to menu planning, baking techniques and product quality. Incidentally, our first large order came from an experienced Chef and that, to me, speaks volume.  Even during this initial stage where every business is critical, I've chosen to walk away from a couple opportunities; I'm weird like that but I'd rather offer products to discerning customers than do business with those who have little clue about quality pastries, who have never seen nor tasted macarons and thought they were mini whoopie pies, or who believed viennoiseries should be the size of super Big Macs or expected muffins and cupcakes to be in every pastry chef's product lineup; by the way, are you aware that a regular muffin has 3x the calories of a butter croissant? A bit of a pastry snob I may be, but when you've put so much into creating a product, it's a natural desire to want people who know how to appreciate the products, and perspicacious customers who recognize all the intricate details that go into the making of the products.
This is not a post about how well our business is doing because we are far from where I want to be. Nor is this an advice to quit your jobs and start your own businesses because like I've said, I myself am still figuring out the path to a positive ROI.  This is simply a validation of a personal choice made months ago, and hopefully, and encouragement to those out there who are thinking about following your hearts - my advice - just do it.
I wanted to share a synopsis on my advanced pastry course in LCB last Fall-Winter but let me just leave you with this short clip that I made that highlights my most important takeaway from the whole LCB experience. Enjoy.

8 comments:

Anonymous,  May 18, 2011 at 7:17 PM  

I wish you nothing but the best on all your endeavors within your business, and life!! Congratulations on making your dreams come true, cant wait to read more about the business in the future!!

Linds May 19, 2011 at 1:45 PM  

It is so refreshing to read about someone following their dream and really going after something. Reading your post reminded me why I want to start my own business, thank you!

Claudia M May 20, 2011 at 3:40 PM  

Hi,

I love reading your blog, it makes me feel ok about what I am doing. I was questioning myself the other day, if I was crazy because I am about 6 weeks away from quitting my job to start at LCB in September. I just read this post and also remind me about your LCB review post (where I also commented) and it really spoke to me. It gave me back the confidence to do this, which I had sort of misplaced while trying to get everything ready for Paris. I wish you the best of luck and great success in your business!!

NMN May 22, 2011 at 7:22 AM  

Hi Jen,

Way to go. Your drive, focus, and passion are all paying off. ROI and money aside, you have already achieved success in liberating yourself from the corporate grind and becoming your own boss in a field that you love. You're an inspiration. Congrats!

Jencrafted May 23, 2011 at 12:34 PM  

Thank you everyone. I truly appreciate that you not only visited the blog, read this post but also took the time to comment. This means a lot to me. Merci!
@Raelynn: It's still not too late to pursue your passion. I truly believe there're lots of opportunities where you are; you can be the next pastry chef that turns Denver's dessert scene around. Imagine the possibilities!
@Linds: there're pros and cons (plus many sleepless nights) but running your own show is just so invigorating.
@Claudia: I must admit, there were times in LCB and even back here when I thought to myself "what the heck have I done to my career?" but you know what? I have never felt so "alive" and energized before. Today's acceptance will become tomorrow's standards. We owe it to ourselves to try, to go all out and not take the middle ground. I am sure you will do well in LCB. My best wishes!
@M: Thank you and so good to hear from you again. I've been thinking about you, wondering how you are doing, etc. Let's touch base soon, I hope.

Anonymous,  May 29, 2011 at 7:17 AM  

A lot of us have dreams to become pastry chefs but few have the guts like you to step out of the comfort zone and do something which lots of people would deem crazy, just to realise a dream. And I salute you for that, Jen :)

Where would you be serving your internship? I wanna try your works!!!

Parisbreakfasts July 4, 2011 at 10:22 AM  

Me too!
I've come here late but I love reading about yr experiences vicariously.
Will you post again so we can follow your adventures?
It would be terrific if you did
Bon chance
Carolg

Amanda July 21, 2012 at 8:34 AM  

You are so passionate! I can just tell from your writing.

Amanda

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP