Bonne Année

>> Friday, December 31, 2010

I'm currently vacationing halfway across the globe from France, visiting family and friends for the first time in 3 years. This year marks the first decade since we moved to the States and sadly, only our third trip home to visit the family. So many things have changed since we left; the increase in business globalization and international travels have led to more and more developments in this part of the world. It feels like everything here moves at lightning speed; I'm awed by the pace of life and slightly confused by the blurring lines between the Western world and this place. In fact, it feels like a little Paris here sometimes.......
@ Galarie Lafayette, Paris                                                   @ Ngee Ann City, Singapore
A scene from the local bistro (a.k.a coffee shops)
Macaron Tower, Gerard Mulot
a tower of teddy bears, Takashimaya
Holiday decorations @ Orchard Road, the "Champs Élysées" of Singapore

French pastry-tasting; I  thought I was back in pastry heaven - Paris, well, almost.....



American theme park in Asia
This tiny republic is now home to multiple celebrity-chef restaurants and is on her way to becoming the culinary center of Asia, boasting dining establishments by big names such as Daniel Boulud, Joel Robuchon, Tetsuya Wakuda, Mario Batali, Guy Savoy......the list goes on.
There's certainly been great progress made; the influx of foreign investments alongside the influences are strongly evident - I invite you to take a peek here and tell me if it reminds you of a certain place in Paris? - and everyone here is riding on the transformation train at 200+ miles an hour. Excellent accomplishments, no doubt. Impressive, definitely.
For me, however, all these will take a little getting used to, especially the "inorganic" elements. What captivated me most was not the towering skyline
...although I'm happy that the city's landscape provided the backdrop for this shot that I took just several days ago, which I'm quite pleased with. What do you think?
Singapore Flyer viewed from Marina Sands Skypark (57th floor)
..my interest lies in the old world charm of the city


Malay Heritage House, Singapore
I enjoyed the places where heritage and customs are preserved and great bargains still to be had
Juxtoposition of the old and the new........


......places where I can enjoy a cup of local, strong, black coffee served old-style, i.e stained teacup-saucer with a small soup spoon, with slices of kaya (coconut jam) toast and soft-boiled eggs. This is such a divine combination and I urge you to try it if you're ever in this part of the world
Instead of croissants, baguettes and café créme, I've been having kaya toast and strong black coffee for breakfast the past couple weeks. Instead of Eiffel Tower, I wake up to this view in the morning (sans the snow and freezing temp)
Although we call America our home now, it's great to be able to come back to this part of the world after a decade. It's also been a transformational decade for us and 2010 has been exceptionally great for D and I. The new decade will bring many more good changes, for sure and I'm stepping into 2011 with great expectations.
Here's wishing You and Yours a year filled with increase, health and of course, sweetness in every aspect of your life. Happy New Year! Bonne année! 新年快乐! Selamat Tahun Baru!





3 comments:

Anonymous,  December 31, 2010 at 10:35 PM  

There's nothing like going home!! I wish you a wonderful new year, and hope it brings you much success in life and in your culinary adventures! Looking forward to reading about your journey!

Anonymous,  January 1, 2011 at 6:17 PM  

Happy new year! Singapore looks beautiful!

Beth January 6, 2011 at 11:45 AM  

What beautiful photos! I've never visited Singapore or even been tempted to go, but you make it really compelling. The pictures of the old town are wonderful.

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP